Monday, June 7, 2010

Stuff I hate....

...though I don't like to hate, as it is such a strong word.

Ok, how about, things I find annoying and bug the living crap out of me? Better?

I get really annoyed when people criticize the things you like, for no other reason than just to do it.

A friend recently posted on the FB "If you watch Glee, I don't respect you." Kind of harsh, no? I mean, what is it about the show that makes you disrespect anyone who watches it? How is it relevant to your life what other people watch or don't watch?

Another example was just last night....I was wearing my "Joss Whedon is my master now" shirt, as I do, because, well all my tee shirts say something...and a friend states unequivocally that it's not right that Joss Whedon's name be put in Star Wars' font. So I ask, why, is Star Wars so sacrosanct that the shirt is somehow defiling the nature of Lucas' opus? And, being the douchey film student he is, launched into a detailed explanation of how Whedon doesn't hold a candle to the sheer artistry that is is Lucas' franchise...blah, blah, blah...after a little bit, when he finally clammed up, I simply stated that I liked the shirt and I like Whedon's work, and that I also like the Star Wars franchise, and that I didn't understand why this was all relevant...

What I don't get is how people can feel so superior. It is actually kind of difficult to fathom how I was like this in my youth. Serious. But I got over it really fast, when I realized that I was tired of justifying what I enjoyed to others. Or maybe I just discovered the futility in that sort of thing. No sense in arguing taste at all.

And yet, I seem to be surrounded by people who make it a habit of doing just that. Always telling each other they're wrong for what they like. Oh sure, I do my fair share of ribbing my friends for their favored authors, music, etc., but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to me, because they're my friends.

Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment