Sunday, June 13, 2010

Just having a coffee.

So, I didn't post yesterday. Fortunately, I've amended my front page to say semi daily! HA!

Anyway, so I thought I would kind of give an a little intro to myself. Only because I can't think of anything else to talk about. :)

So, I was born in 1968, September 26, around 3 pm, I think, I couldn't tell time yet. My father said it happened in Pomona, but it was actually on Pomona in Bellevedere, California. As it turns out, Bellevedere is one of those weird little towns you find in southern Cali like Midway City....it's there, but hardly anyone knows about it...except maybe people who live in the towns surrounding it, or who travel the 710 with alarming frequency.

I am the 4th of 5. My 3 older sibs, a sister and 2 brothers, were born in Guatemala. My youngest brother was born in Arcadia. I'm the first U.S. citizen in my entire family, on both sides. The majority of the family is Roman Catholic, with a few EV Christians and agnostics peppered in their for flavor. I am fluent in Spanish and English, because we were only allowed to speak Spanish at home since we were being educated in English.

I tried the sports thing up until freshman year of high school. I realized I just wasn't a jock...which is okay, since my Dad was a pro Futbol(soccer) player in Guatemala, and my two older brothers had letters in multiple sports.

In 2nd grade it was determined that I was 'gifted,' so I was put into the Idea program in the Fullerton school district, were we had moved when I was 4. We learned over the years that smart doesn't necessarily equal disciplined. My grades were woefully average, and sometimes barely that. But I was always reading something, and watching a lot of PBS. I worked at Fullerton Public Library for about 2 & a 1/2 years, from junior year to the middle of the summer of '86.

After high school I spent time as a waiter and college student. And getting into trouble. Not the getting arrested kind, but the hazy memories of good times with great friends kind.

I did a little time in college. Mostly studying theater. I learned how to be a tech which was handy. I worked for Knott's Berry Farm as a stage tech for 4 years. Good times.

My daughter, Nora Scout, was born in 1994. She became the most precious person in my life, among the embarrassment of riches that is my family and friends.

I wandered through many jobs, in many fields for the last 16 years...with moderate success, but little lasting reward.

Currently, I am funemployed, have been for about a year and a half, and it sucks giant donkeys pizzles. I fight the good fight sending out resumes and hoping for the best.

I play a little guitar, bass, mandolin, and violin. Some drum too, but a very specific, under-used (at least in contemporary terms) type called a field drum, learned when I started doing renaissance faire about 18 years ago. I also sing and write songs. I like to play coffee houses. I have been in two bands....well one band and one duo.

Oh yeah, I'm a historical re-enactor. I do ren faire. I spend my weekends a couple months out of the year dressing up as an English peasant from the 1500's. Part of the 18 years at faire was spent doing English country dance and Morris dance, both traditional English forms of folk dance. Ten years of that were spent as a stage manager. I just went back to acting there.

I'm also a gamer, playing D&D, along with a myriad of other role playing games.

I love reading, including comic books. I also like science fiction and some fantasy; though my primary literary preference is regular non-genre fiction.

I love movies. All kinds. Serious.

Music is a big deal in my life. I'm a fan of most types. Whenever I need a respite from the world at large, I lose myself in music.

I'm not as pretentious as that last comment sounded.

I like TV, and generally have a set of stories I follow. Heh. I loves mah stories.

I like going to coffee and sitting around shooting the shit.

During my time at KBF, I was tempted to run away with the circus.

I've worked for some big corporations, though generally in the capacity of low level peon. I've worked for both big amusement parks here in the OC; and two major book chains.

I haven't traveled a lot, but have been to some cool places.

That's all for now. I'll probably be dedicating some blog space to my various hobbies and loves....I like writing about the stuff I love, basically because I love said stuff.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment